Short notice on the relationship between the original Wagner score and the resulting composition in Bernhard Langs "Parsifal"
The whole piece follows
- Wagner time structure, ranging from the overall prelude/3-act/2 intermissions-structure down to the length of individual "scenes",
resulting in the length of about 200 minutes
- Wagners text: this is being transformed by
- translations into French (Blumenmädchen), English (Amfortas), Hebrew (Choir)
- cuts of "key-texts", omissions of lenghtier narrations (Gurnemanz)
- looping of "hook-lines" "Erlösung von Erlösern"
- Wagners narrative, with subtle changes and transformation of relationsships and persons (Kundry wins)
- Wagners personages, with the omission of Titurel and the reduction to 4 Blumenmädchen; one Knappe is sung by a Soprano, Parsifal by a counter
The whole piece follows my technique of Difference/Repetition, lined out in "Theater of Repetitions", "I hate Mozart", "Montezuma", "Der Reigen", "Der Golem".
Bernhard Lang Vienna 8 Dec 2015